#223 - Peter: Kept by the Power of God



"Mine has not been a hitch-free journey; but in the end, I believe my journey is summarised thus - kept by the power of God", Peter said as he took his seat under the fig tree. The young Jews from the growing followers of Jesus had been looking forward to hearing Peter's story, but he was away to Samaria with a letter from the Apostles in Jerusalem to encourage the Church there. Andrew had promised them that Peter would be back in time for the Shevuot (Feast of Weeks). Today was the last day of the feast, and true to his promise, Andrew asked Peter to spare some time to talk to the youths.

"How am I able to be used by God? What is so special about me? What is the secret of my success?" Peter continued, "I will tell you the story of my life to answer that question.

My life began (though I had already lived over four decades) on this fateful morning. I remember it every day like it was yesterday. Why would I not? The place was already bustling with activity when we arrived at the riverside. It was amidst the frustration of hurriedly detangling the net while Andrew untied the boat from the stake, that I heard a not-so-familiar voice talking with a fisherman some meters away. I mean, I could tell the voice of each fisherman from the other even in my sleep. Although I was yet to see them, I could well recognize the voice of Zebedee somewhere in the crowd, shouting instructions at his sons - James and John. I was certain the voice I heard earlier could not have been the voice of someone who had come to buy fish, because the people of Bethsaida only came out to Galilee to buy fish when the sun was rising. This is when the fishermen would have come ashore after having toiled all night. “Who then could that be?” I thought to myself.

As we held out both sides of the net on the water, ready to set sail, I heard the voice again. This time closer and more audibly – “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matthew 4:19) [ESV]. Immediately, I jumped off the boat to follow him, not minding if the instruction had been directed to Andrew or me. What mattered was I had heard the voice, and the only thing that felt right to do at the moment was to jump off that boat and follow the man. Now that I think of it, it wasn’t the most rational or most reasonable thing to do in the circumstance. I could pin it on curiosity, but I do not believe that this alone is capable of pulling a man from his business and family to follow a man he had only just met. I am convinced that it is by a higher power that I, Simon Peter, answered the call of the master that morning. To think that all the circumstances that led up to that moment of the call were not mere coincidences. I cannot but think about the fact that I could have headed out immediately after dinner, without spending those final moments with Father which I have come to cherish. This means I would have gotten to the riverside earlier and would have been ashore just in time to miss the call. Father would have been with us on the boat had he not decided to rest a while before joining us, and I am almost sure I would not have made it out of there without the thought of leaving my father breaking my heart. Worst still, he might have forbidden me from following the Master. I can indeed say, that by the Power of God was I called, and by it was I kept till the very end.

I noticed that the master always had me do his bidding. Sometimes I would think of making up excuses to just have him send John or Mathew or any of the other disciples, but I got to learn that he foreknew this even before I thought to even think about it. I must say that being The Master’s errand boy had its perks, my best part being the fact that I got to experience miracles that other disciples only lived to hear about. I vividly recall one of the days when we entered Capernaum, that the tax collectors of the Half Shekel (Temple Tax) confronted me on whether the Master paid taxes in accordance with Exodus 30:13. I was quick to answer in the affirmative because by virtue of being the son of the king (God) and a priest, Jesus was exempt from the tax. However, the master insisted on paying the tax, and so instructed me to go the lake, cast a hook without bait into the sea, catch a fish, take money out of its mouth and pay the temple tax (Matthew 17:24-27). Ordinarily, this was an outrageous task, and for a moment I was tempted to trust in my expertise and do it my own way. On the other hand, I thought of how the master had been teaching me to trust him beyond doubt. And so, my faith was strengthened, and I did as the master had commanded. It was not until I saw the reaction of the tax collectors that I fully understood what the master meant when he had said to me: 'I will make you fishers of men' (Matthew 4:19). The act of surrendering His right as the son of God for the sake of the tax collectors and all who were present or who got to hear about it, brought many to salvation.

This experience shaped my life forever and inspired me to confidently launch out of the boat unto the water when the master commanded me to walk on water (Matthew 14:24-33). I could have drowned the moment I shifted my gaze from the master to the churning waves beneath my feet, but as I cried out to Him, he saved me. He set me back on my feet and we walked back into the boat together. The fact that I trusted the master with my life did stop me from being overwhelmed by trying circumstances. I can only say that I was indeed kept by the power of God. I could not have made it thus far by my own strength; it is only by the mercy of God and His power to keep His own.

I would never forget the events of the day of unleavened bread. I had gone ahead with John to prepare the Passover meal in the city as per the master’s command. After supper, while small talk and arguing over which one of us was considered the greatest, the master turned to me and said the most unexpected thing:

'Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat' (Luke 22:31)[ESV].

This was frightening and discouraging, but then came the best part;

'But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail' (Luke 22:32)[ESV].

The master could have removed my impending test or made my path trial-free, but he didn’t. Instead, he prepared me for what was to come and was with me through it all (Luke 22:54-62). This was just the first of many more to come. Although each trial comes with a unique lesson to be learnt, I can say the entire purpose of trials is to refine our character and strengthen our faith in God (1 peter 1:6-7) and never to destroy us. So, in trying times, I am not moved because my confidence is in the fact that my high priest - Jesus is constantly interceding on my behalf, and He is with me till the very end. (Hebrews 7:25)[ESV]. Through the death and resurrection of my lord and saviour Jesus Christ, I have a living hope, and I am confident that I have been shielded and I am being kept by the power of God until the very end (1 Peter 1:3-5). Even though I had many high points, like walking on water, and seeing Jesus glorified (the transfiguration), the low points of my life keep me in check from being proud. My denial of the master, almost drowning in the sea of Galilee, bragging to Jesus that I would be with Him till the end and chickening out when approached by a servant girl; these all keep me humble. Day by day I realise that my willpower (O I can boast among the apostle that I had the most willpower and zeal) is not what has brought me this far. It is something external to me and from God. I have experienced the awesome power of God through grace. Grace has kept me and upheld me.

So, my dear children, I do not think this story is peculiar to me alone. I believe that the testimony of all the Apostles is similar. I trust God over your lives - that if He permits for you to live to a ripe old age, you will be surrounded by your children and grandchildren hearing you summarise your journey of faith the same way as I - kept and preserved by the power of God. Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of His glory with great joy, to the only God, our saviour, through Jesus Christ our LORD, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen (Jude 24&25).

Now hurry up my little flock, the streets will soon be empty since it is a high day. Have a wonderful Shabbat feast with your family and we will see next time. Shabbat Shalom."


written by Doochivir Igyo

Join us next week as we peer into the life of another witness of Jesus. God bless you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#126: The Story behind the Hymn I: When Peace, Like a River

#152: FIRE

#147: THE FORGOTTEN ONE'S 1