#164: God Is

 

And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Exodus 3:14

Who is God? This is a question that we all get to wrestle with. When we are waiting on God to show up and fulfill the promises that He has given to us in scripture, who is God? While we may not be able to fully describe God, God has given us in scripture a whole lot of details about Himself that is adequate to answer this question whispering in our thoughts.

Consider the children of Israel at this point in history; all the promises that were made to Abraham were yet to be fulfilled. The promise of being a great nation was not yet in sight. It was not fulfilled in Abraham's days, neither his son Isaac. This was many generations after and they were not yet in the promised land; they were instead slaves in a gentile nation. All the more reason to validate the silent question in their heart: who is God? Were God's promises fake? Is His faithfulness flawed? Or maybe all that they heard and read about God was nothing but false...

Just like in the days when the Israelites were quietly asking this question, God hears us and is determined to reveal Himself more and more to us.

God is I AM.

This was enough to clear every doubt that the Israelites had and as we spend time to meditate on this revelation of God, the same could happen to us.

When God says "I AM" it means everything. He absolutely is; all other facts rest on this. "I AM listening; I AM able; I AM with you..." O how warm to know that despite what I am, who I am, where I am, the situations I am in, God Is!

Every time God steps into our situation, it is to remind us that He Is. He can be trusted and relied on. Eventually God rescued Israel from slavery as He did rescue the whole world from slavery over sin and death in the person of Jesus and through Jesus God has expressly shown to us His "I AM": "I AM the bread of life, I AM the living water; I AM with you always (Immanuel); I AM the light of the world; I AM coming..." These are not just mere claims they are Spirit and they are Life.

Who has God revealed Himself to you as?

As you go through today and subsequently the rest of life, may God keep us in remembrance that He Is and that is all that matters.

Thought: for he who comes to God must believe that HE IS and He Is a rewarder of those who see Him diligently (Heb 11:6). all the promises of God are yes and amen in Jesus (II Cor 1:20).

Comments

  1. O how warm to know that despite what I am, who I am, where I am, the situations I am in, God Is!...

    👌

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#126: The Story behind the Hymn I: When Peace, Like a River

#152: FIRE

#147: THE FORGOTTEN ONE'S 1