#134: Laments at Bethany

Martha said, "Master, if you'd been here, my brother wouldn't have died." John 11:21

How many times have we ever felt synced with Martha in this moment? When we acknowledge God's power and sovereignty to make things right, yet in despair, in agony, we wonder why God is not doing anything; why He has still done nothing about our situations. The same words of lamentations were uttered by Mary when she met Jesus in verse 32. LORD, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died! In these words, you feel deep anger at God. They knew what God could do in the person of Jesus. But it felt as though, for some reasons unknown, God decided to be silent, and their brother died (something bad) as a result of God's silence. It seemed too late. We find ourselves often at this point. Let us look at God's Word together to dig out hope, wisdom and strength for moments as these.

God's plan for the world stands up, all His designs are made to last. Psalms 33:11.

...even the wind and the sea obey Him... Mark 4:41.

Job answered God: "I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans. You asked, `Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?` I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head. You told me, `Listen, and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.` I admit, I once lived by rumours of You; now I have it firsthand; from my own eyes and ears! I'm sorry. Forgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise! I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumour." Job 42:1-6.

May God grant us understanding. For every time the LORD seems to fall short of His sovereignty, it is actually a divine act. The psalmist and Job realised that nothing can thwart whatever God has ordained to happen.

May God help us to submit to His divine will. May we not revolt and react in a blasphemous manner when God sits and permits what we esteem to be bad to happen. We must always remember that God is not bound with time and space as we are and His wisdom is unsearchable. He has never been caught unawares. And He is always able to restore. There will never be a hopeless situation for someone who walks with God. In the end we know that everything works together for our good. It is only in the end that we realise this. In the middle, it may never be rosy and just as Martha and Mary, we may begin our lament. But still hold on to God. Do not derail from the path of righteousness and grace when things do not work out well. Even the wind and the sea obey Him. Everything is unfolding as He has caused them to. So trust Him and keep holding Him. May God help us. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#126: The Story behind the Hymn I: When Peace, Like a River

#152: FIRE

#147: THE FORGOTTEN ONE'S 1